Thursday, October 14, 2010

Matts Don't Form Over Night

Here's a blog that most groomers want to say to you but don't.


So here it goes...

I have heard so many excuses on why dogs are matted (and no I'm not talking about little knots here and there, I'm talking about full blown dreadlocks). So here are a few good ones that I have stored in memory for the creation of this blog.

1. I don't know how my dog could be matted I just combed her this morning.

2. My dog has been with my aunt, uncle, cousin, sister, brother, dog sitter, mother, father, best friend (you can see where this is going) and I didn't know they were supposed to brush my dog.

3. No I don't leave my dogs collar on all the time (and the dogs collar has become part of the matt.)

4. My dog won't let me brush her (so why do you think I will be able to brush your dog if you cant even do it?)

5. (Shhh this one is my favorite) MY DOG ISN'T MATTED (oh that's right I'm just saying this for my enjoyment to see your reaction)


Groomers don't like seeing dogs matted. There have been actual cases where I have wanted to call animal control because the dog is matted sooo badly (the picture above is an actual matt that I removed from a maltese. Yes that is one matt... and yes it covered the whole dog). Matts hurt plain and simple. They hurt when they are on the dog and they hurt when they are coming off the dog. The easiest and most safest way to get matts off a dog is to shave them out. If you don't want your pet to be shaved the best thing for you, your dog, and your groomer is to comb your dog in between grooming appointments to make sure matts don't form. Groomers know that you don't want your dog shaved... we don't like doing it but we are looking out for whats best for your pet plus it's just hair... IT WILL GROW BACK!

I have found that dog owners are really good at combing their dog's back.... the back is usually the last place they are matted. I think the reason for this is because it's such an easy place to start and not get bitten. Most owners give up when their dog starts to pull or tries to bite and that usually is the area that matts up the fastest. Some common areas that I find are usually matted are the butt, stomach or chest, armpits, tail, neck, and behind the ears. I think the most common area is the neck and behind the ears because owners put collars on their dogs and then leave it on all the time. The collar is constantly rubbing on the hair in that area causing matts. Dogs should wear their collars as little as possible. My dog only wears her collar when she is outside.


There are two tools I recommend all the time to owners... A metal comb and a slicker brush. Pin brushes don't work so don't waste the money. Here are some examples of what you should look for.






So make your dog happy... Comb your dog (your groomer will be happy too)

No comments:

Post a Comment